Writer’s block

When I first started writing a column fourteen years ago, I worried about running out of things to write. When Lissa persuaded me to blog a year ago, I still worried about the same thing.  And the advice was the same: write about what you care about; if you don’t stop caring, you won’t stop writing. And that is why blogging might be very light these next couple of weeks. I have lots of ideas, lots of them. But I don’t care about them.

There is a box of linens in the rec room; a trunk in the foyer; he’s pinned his pre-season training schedule and his fall class schedule to the refrigerator. He’s moved his desktop out of his room and he’s actually picked all his clothes up off the floor. He’s leaving. And it’s hard to care about anything else.

But the fact of the matter is, he reads this blog. He’s shared his life with my readers since he was very little. And he doesn’t need to know over and over again how sorry I am to see him go. So, I won’t write right now, at least not nearly as much as I care.

Comments

My heart goes out to you. It seems like such a long way off for me…. but I can already appreciate what it must feel like.
    {hugs}

Elizabeth, you and I are walking in the same type shoes….I was at Wal-mart tonight buying more things for the dorm room…These next two weeks will be so very precious. Love and Prayers for you.

Elizabeth–You were on my heart already when you had not posted in a few days. I figured you were quite busy getting home from yout trip and had been praying for you. Now my heart aches for you. All my littlies can seem so overwhelming at times. You have reminded me how fleeting it really is. My “Memorares” are headed your way these next couple weeks. God bless.

4. Judy says

Elizabeth,
    Thank you for this post. My heart is breaking, too, even though I rejoice at my son’s happy future. You and I are in a similar situation: my oldest has only three weeks more before he goes off for a year of youth ministry before college. We live a continent away from where he will be, so the extra long twin sheets and comforter and new towels have already been mailed. But I’ve been in denial anyway, just trying to make things normal. And they aren’t. And I can’t. Thanks for reminding me that I’m not alone. May our Blessed Mother, who gave up her only Son for all of us, comfort and sustain you in the coming months.

Oh, my heart goes out to you. It is so hard, not just the letting go, but the having them *gone* from home.

Lighting a candle for you, Elizabeth, under my icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I know she will help you through this bittersweet time…I can’t imagine…
    Love,
    Jennifer

7. Nancy (guitarnan) says

Elizabeth, I’m watching a dear friend walk this same road…I know from being with her that you’re on a true emotional roller coaster. You and your wonderful family are in my prayers.

8. Gina says

Elizabeth, I know EXACTLY how you feel as our eldest is leaving for college in three weeks. It is so hard on my husband and I, but I think it’s going to be just as hard (or even harder) on the little ones who are so attached to their big sister and don’t understand what’s going on. Your writing about this helps me know that I’m not alone. Hugs and Prayers, Gina

9. Gina says

10. Jeannine says

My heart aches for you. I pray that God will bless you with peace, comfort, and strength.

For us, it is the second (of seven) who is leaving in 3 weeks. She has been cleaning rooms for days! Just last night at prayer time we talked about it. And yet I am so delighted for her– the possibilities ahead! The classes! Life! She is so excited. I am sad to see her go– but would hate to have her stay! As with the first one, blogging seems to keep us close!
    Motherhood… it is so hard at times. With the grace of God, we keep going, everyday. Many will be your joys when this child comes home for college breaks– it has been wonderful for us!

12. Darby says

Elizabeth,
    Every summer since Katie ‘flew the coop’ I am an emotional basket case! Katie leaves again in a week and Erin and now, Kevin leave in two weeks. I was passing by Kevin’s room earlier this week – spied his college belongings packed up in neat stacks against his wall and the flood gates opened! I walked back to my room telling myself to get a grip! I LOVE these people and I LOVE having them around – I miss them terribly when they’re gone. But it’s more than that – they’re actually growing away from me. It’s terrible and it’s wonderful all at the same time! And it’s all I care about right now, too!

13. Denise Covert says

But he is so ready for the journey. He has such deep and healthy roots and such strong and sturdy wings. Well done Mom and Dad! Blessings for all of you as this new chapter begins.

This is another rite of passage,and a very exciting one for your son.
    I can remember another young woman who was in Michael’position and how difficult it was for to leave the nest.There are so many wonderful things ahead for both of you,and you and Mike are sending off one of the finest young men that I have had the pleasure to know and the opportunity to love

15. beth says

Dear Elizabeth,
    I promise to ask our Blessed Mother to comfort you whenever I get to the Fifth Joyful Mystery. I thought Michael was going to Texas, then I see on his blog (which I love reading by the way-I wish I were as good a writer) that he’ll be going to George Mason. At least that’s not so far.
    Blessings and and try to enjoy these next few weeks.

16. Sandy Moffett says

God bless you, I know how hard this is but you will get through this time. Watching him change into the man he is to become will be worth the tears.