Planning Ahead for Advent and Christmas

I found the Advent candles. They're all blessed from Candlemas; I put them where I could remember them. And I'm feeling pretty good about that right now, because my house is a long way from "as fair as you are able." All my little elves are bigger now, and somehow less helpful. Not sure how that happened. So, without apology, I'm just reposting this list of links and going about my –ahem–merry way. That's a whole lot to do around here today.  I will try to answer questions left here sometime this weekend, as my dust bunnies and my elbow allow:-)

Happy preparing!

I see you clicking around, making lists, getting organized, planning plans, and thinking big thoughts. Good for you! Collected here, to help your search, are Advent and Christmas posts from years past. If you don't see what you're looking for, leave me a note on the comments and I promise to help you find it.

Advent1

Advent and Christmas Books and Lots of Lesson Plans

More Advent and Christmas Reading

Jan Brett Books and Lapbook

Jan Brett Gingerbread Lapbook

The Tomie de Paola unit (books to read, things to cook, crafts to craft: complete lesson plans for all of December:-)

Preparing for Christmas and Advent Around the World

O Antiphon House

Gaudete Sunday

Immaculate Conception: Candle and Novena, Craft

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Advent5

Comments

I’m sorry that I’ll never have a chance to thank you in person for all of the ways you bless me, and hence, my family. God bless you and yours!

Wonderful–thank you for posting this! Your blog is such a wonderful resource for books, homekeeping, holidays, etc., and I truly appreciate the time you put into it. As I looked through the links, I also remembered something you posted, I think it was last year, about your little one going around saying “this mess! this mess!”–or so you thought, until you realized she was saying “Christmas!” I laughed so hard, and I’m putting that in the front of my mind as I get ready for this very busy time of the year!

Thanks so much for the reminder! 20 Days- I don’t think I realized that. My kids are finally old enough to really appreciate some traditions, and I don’t want to miss out. The links are great!

4. Jennifer says

I would love to pass along your no wheat making and baking, but the link goes straight to a pointsettia doll. Can you let me know the real link? Thanks! Your site is truly a gift. -Jennifer

Can’t wait to sit down with a cuppa tea and read through everything!
    I have really come to love Tomie de P. as well, and have been slowly collecting his books. I think I have enough of them this year to make your Dec. unit work. If only I could find the Lady of Guadalupe one and Mary, Mother of Jesus without breaking the bank. I keep checking around the internet in hopes of finding a great deal… maybe some day!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts and great ideas!!!

6. Rachel says

Thank you so much for the Advent Baby blogpost from many years ago. I am expecting my 3rd child this Christmas season and my current toddler seems so needy that I often find myself overwhelmed by the thought. You have encouraged me to continue looking to God alone for strength and not keep trying to make organisational plans my obsession.

7. Patty says

Hat in hands…I’ve been clicking (OK maybe a little bit obsessively), because I know where to go to get inspiration for a parish newsletter article I’m writing. :-) You’re the best!

8. mbesunshine@gmail.com says

Elizabeth, Thank you for getting me ready! Might you by chance share the link for the wooden advent wreath you shared in the past?
    Thank you!
    MaryBeth

9. Carrie Connell says

I thank you Elizabeth for reposting this. I’m currently a Canadian mother of eight. My oldest is going to be 14 in Feb. and my youngest is almost 10 months. Each year I have been desperately trying to make Advent more special … I am learning through your website and other resources. Two years ago I bought Jotham’s Journey and my family LOVED it. I bought two other books that year as well that you recommended. I just placed an order for nine books that you recommended. I can’t wait for them to arrive. I thank you again for sharing. Carrie

10. Megan says

Thank you, Elizabeth, for posting this. Wow! We’re just starting our family traditions, and as converts, it can feel a little disorienting. The Church offers us so many opportunities to prepare ourselves for the great feast of Christmas, and you’ve introduced me to good number of traditions that we can observe to help us prepare. We’re starting small this year, with some books, and some prayers. I have a feeling that as our family grows, so will our traditions, and of course, best of all, our joy.
    Blessings to you and yours as you prepare yourselves this season!

Thanks for this summary:-) It only occurred to me this morning that I really need to start thinking about what essentials we should do in the coming months:-)
    I was just wondering if there’s an error in the link to the ‘No Wheat’ topic—i clicked on it to check it out before sending it to a friend, and it links to the poinsettia people.

12. melanie says

Wow, well, I am impressed about your candles….as it is, I am makinng a hopeful rum to the craft store todau to try and find some! :)