Lord, Hear Our Prayer

The internet is a formidable force for bringing the comfort and consolation and hope of the Lord to all of us. It can be an incredibily powerful medium for community. There is an unfathomable resource for prayer here. We have on the 'net the privilege of praying for people and of being witness to the miracles brought forth when fervent, faith-fulled people pray for one another.

Let's be that community of hope and faith for one another.

But how about this idea? What if I pop in here every weekend, share Sunday's gospel and talk a wee bit about how we can live it and pray it in our homes? And then you tell me how we can pray for you that week? Deal?

{And please, do return and let us know how prayer is bearing fruit.}

Jesus said:
"I am the good shepherd.
A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
A hired man, who is not a shepherd
and whose sheep are not his own,
sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away,
and the wolf catches and scatters them.
This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.
I am the good shepherd,
and I know mine and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
This is why the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own.
I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again.
This command I have received from my Father."
John 10: 11-18
Lambcake

Think

There are still so many millions of people who have not yet heard the message of a loving God, a God who sent his only Son to die for them. They seek meaning and happiness in their lives by pursuing all kinds of other goals which inevitably turn to ashes: material abundance, status in the eyes of others, power over others, mistaking pleasure and hedonism for happiness…
In so doing, they reject Jesus the Good Shepherd. "Because the world refused to acknowledge him, therefore it does not acknowledge us." This is something we must learn to accept as a fact, even if it is hard to understand and even harder to take.
No matter how closely we follow in the footsteps of our Shepherd, in fact, the more closely we follow him, the more likely it is that we will be rejected and even attacked. More tragic still, however, there are so many people who claim Christ as Lord, many of them very good and sincere people, who are often divided, even bitterly divided among themselves.
Here, more than anywhere is there a need for all to follow one Shepherd and form one flock. Otherwise how can we give witness to the love of Christ if that love is lacking among the servants of Jesus?
Lastly, there are those who, though incorporated through baptism into the Body of Christ, consistently behave in a way which totally distorts people’s understanding of Christ and his call to discipleship, fulfilment and happiness. Probably, most of us have at one time or another failed in our call to give witness to the truth and love that is to be found in Christ.  (from Sacred Space)

Pray

Jesus, never let me fail to acknowledge you. Indeed, help me to go forth and glorify You with my life. Always. Everywhere. And in whatever company I find myself.

Act

Easter is a season and Good Shepherd Sunday is the perfect day to make a lamb cake (pictured above in ancient photo I just dug up). Rebecca has recipes and directions here.  Lamb cake pan here. (Remember, it's a season. If you don't have the pan and can't find it locally, Jesus won't stop being the Good Shepherd on Monday. You have time, mama.)

~

And psst: Today's the day to begin if you're going to use 33 Days to Morning Glory and conclude on the Feast of the Visitation. Again, don't get tangled up in dates. God exists outside of time. If you're interested, there's a 33 Days to Morning Glory book club on Facebook. More about the book here.

Comments

When we were moving to the DC area four years ago the decision of where to live was pretty overwhelming. I turned to God and simply asked that He place us in a faith filled community. He certainly answered that prayer. My husband’s current job will cause us to move in the next two years or so…this Wednesday (May 2) he has a job interview for a new job that would allow us to stay here permanently. I can’t describe how much I would love to be able to put down permanent roots in such a wonderful Diocese, Parish and Homeschool community.
    Please keep my husband in prayer that he faces the interview with confidence and is successful in being selected for the position.

2. CDS says

Please pray for a family that lost their husband, father, son, brother, and dear friend this week after 7 years of battle cancer. They were a true witness to many with their strong faith and trust in God’s Will.
    Extra prayers for the wife and her two teenage daughters, one will be going off to college in the fall.
    Lord hear our prayer.

“(Remember, it’s a season. If you don’t have the pan and can’t find it locally, Jesus won’t stop being the Good Shepherd on Monday. You have time, mama.)” Thank you. THIS is where I get hung up. Oh so true.
    We are halfway through my husband’s annual training. He’s been gone two weeks and will be for two more. Please pray that I can be a patient mama and help my little ones through this. Please pray for him, because I know he is working hard and missing us. Thank you.

Please pray for my friend who is dealing with a blood clot.
    Please also pray that the Lord will direct us in the decision of whether or not to move–let me be completely open to his plans for us always.

5. Gwen says

For the repose of the soul of Bill Bandlow..died of cancer yesterday. My heart breaks for his wife Monica..they were married only about 9 years.
    Also for my brother Keith and his wife Lisa..that God will save their marriage.

Please pray for my nephew. We’re one year out from tragedy, and it’s just a lot for a little boy to bear.
    And thank you, Elizabeth, for creating this haven of prayer.

7. shwell says

Seven years ago we got a wonderful new Priest in our Parish, Father Scott Mower. Before he was a Catholic Priest he was a Methodist and a third grade public school teacher….. well he was NOT in favor of homeschooling when we first discussed it. But, one Sunday after this very Gospel message and his Homily, I thanked him for a wonderful Gospel/Homily for Homeschoolers, that we know our sheep and our sheep know us etc, He has since had a complete change of heart and is now one of my biggest/best sources of support and encouragement on this journey. Please pray for him and for the prayers he holds in the silence of his heart.

8. Dianna says

Please pray for my husband. He is such a good man. He is trying to figure out his prayer life – he’s never had one before – and could use some prayers here.
    Thanks all for praying. Know that I am praying also.

Please pray that my placenta will move enough in the next four weeks that I can avoid a c-section. I am 34 weeks pregnant as of yesterday, and my last ultrasound showed an edge of the placenta was still completely covering the cervix. My doctor told me to prepare emotionally for a hysterectomy, as a persistent previa may indicate accreta. I am scared to death, and having trouble keeping my spirits up and my eyes on my duties. She also said she would nit try to save my uterus even if she could because future pregnancy would be too risky with history of previa, accreta, and a c-section scar.
    This baby will be my eighth, and I am 41, so I know it might be my last anyway, but I’m having a hard time dealing with all of this. I had hoped for another, as I am otherwise in good health with easy pregnancies.
    Also, please pray for little Olga (remember the orphan girl with Down Syndrome from last year’s fundraiser?), her baby sister, Vanessa, and the Abell family going to rescue them right now. Pray they are able to get their girls home soon, and in good health.

I am so happy to pray for you all and thank you, Elizabeth for this!
    Please pray for my husband who is beginning a new career and is a bit overwhelmed with all of the changes. Please also pray for peace and order for my family. Things have been very chaotic this year for us all.
    Thank you.

My husband’s aunt (the Carmelite nun) passed away yesterday morning. Please pray for peace and comfort for those who grieve her, and for the repose of her soul.
    Thank you for your prayers, the anxiety I have surrounding my pregnancy has pretty much disappeared. Deo gratias!
    Please pray for my mom, poor health and few options for treatment.
    Thank you all, and prayers for all the intentions here.

Please pray for my dear Catholic homeschooling friends who lost their 11 month old son, their ninth child, unexpectedly this week to unknown causes. While they know he is enjoying eternal life, they are suffering greatly and request prayers that his family receive the graces they need to heal. Also, they are expecting baby #10, so please also pray that the stress of this week and mom’s grief do not have any ill effects on the unborn child. Your prayers are powerful, friends. Thank you for thinking of Baby William’s family.

13. Carolyn says

Please pray for my alcoholic and drug addicted daughter, that she find her way back to God, the twelve steps and sobriety. And please pray for my 8 month old grandson who is now in my care. I pray to mend my broken heart, and find the strength and fortitude I need to get through each day, with love and compassion.
    Thank you, Elizabeth for this gift of community.

14. Gwen says

Wow..just wanted to say it is a big comfort to know we are all praying for each other. I know from experience that devotion to the 7 SORROWS OF THE Blessed Virgin Mary is VERY powerful and comforting. When I say those 7 Hail Mary’s I’ll be praying for everyone here.

15. Mary Beth says

Please pray for my older sister (and her 12 & 15 year old sons) who is facing divorce from her cheating husband of 20 years. I am packing up my 4 (homeschooled) children & heading to help her clean up & clear out her large, very cluttered home over the next two weeks. Pray that God would meet her in the midst of her pain & that she would learn to lean on Him in all things, and that my help may minister to her in meaningful ways.
    I would also ask prayers for myself. I entered into The Church at Easter – this was a joyful time, especially for my husband and children, who have been waiting a long time for me to do so. I’m now feeling somewhat lost, unsure of what to do next. There is much to discover and to learn, and I have no idea how to do so! (This is a good problem, I assure you!) I’ve been praying for a Spiritual Advisor (is that what they’re called?)… would you care to join me?
    Thank you.

16. linda says

Please pray for continued trust in the Lord. He has made decisions for our lives that I don’t yet understand. There is sadness here and I would hope for it to leave. Peace, love and joy to you all my dear friends in Christ.
    Eternal Father I offer you the body and blood soul and divinity of your dearly beloved son our Lord, Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world. For the sake of his sorrowful passion have Mercy on us.

33 days of Morning Glory must mean it’s 33 days until my anniversary! Thanking God today for my wonderful husband. He’s more than I deserve and a better man than any I’d dreamed.
    This week I ask for prayers for my daughter’s godfather, who leaves this week for pre-deployment training. May God bring him safely home a year from now (if not sooner!) to his wife, children, and grandchildren.

18. Jacqueline says

Please pray for my daughter, who received her first Holy Communion today. May she always hunger for our Lord in her heart.

19. Lauri says

Please pray for my coworker whose husband goes into rehab for alcoholism this week. We are praying for an ongoing successful recovery and healing for their family. God Bless.

20. Christy says

Praying for all those here.
    Thank you for your prayers this past week my Shingles have been a blessing in disguise.

21. Meg says

One more prayer Elizabeth,
    My husband, father of 7,(2 in college,) just lost his job today. I am so sad and hope that St. Joseph the worker can help him quickly find a new job better than the last! Please pray for us!