needle & thREAD

Hello, sewing friends!

I welcome you to needle and thREAD. What have you been sewing lately? Or are you embroidering? Pulling a needle with thread through lovely fabric to make life more beautiful somehow? Would you share with us just a single photo (or more) and a brief description of what you're up to? Will you tell us about what you're reading, also? Would you talk sewing and books with us? I'd love that so much.

Make sure the link you submit is to the URL of your blog post or your specific Flickr photo and not your main blog URL or Flickr Photostream. Please be sure and link to your current needle and theREAD post below in the comments, and not a needle and theREAD post from a previous week. If you don't have a blog, please post a photo to the needle & thREAD group at Flickr.
       Include a link back to this post in your blog post or on your flickr photo page so that others who may want to join the needle and thREAD fun can find us! Feel free to grab a button here (in one of several colors) so that you can use the button to link:-).

~ ~

I don't have much to report this week. I finished that hand sewing on the Painted Portrait Blouse and Mary Beth clicked this very squinty picture. When I saw how squinty I was, I thought about a re-do. But I am reminded that I squint all. the. time.  why even waste another minute trying?

My Kindle coordinates nicely with the blouse, I think.  I told you earlier about one of my reads this week. (Go back and be sure you're entered in the giveaway.) The other was The Enchanted Barn by Grace Livingston Hill. As I mentioned, Kim enthusiastically endorsed these books ages ago. I'm definitely late to the party. This one lived up to her general summation of GHL books. It is a very nice, story, if a wee bit farfetched. Especially appealing is the attention to domestic details. For me, the biggest criticism of this volume was the baby talk of the youngest child. She is a four-year-old little girl and all her dialgue is in tedious, overly-sweet baby talk. Throughout my reading, I kept reminding myself that I was so enjoying the story that the baby talk could be overlooked. But the last lines of the story were spoken by the four-year-old. Huge bummer.

There are lots of Grace Livingston Hill books in the Kindle store. I'm definitely going to read another.

So, what about you? What have you been up to this week? Reading, sewing, embroidering? Do share.

Comments

I read Bloom by Kelle Hampton–I remember happening upon her blog a while back–her book inspired me; the pictures beautiful; and her emotions pure and raw and what a reminder of life and what it means to deal with the unexpected.

Catching up this week. I read ‘Heaven is Here’ by NieNie, and then a bit of a mishmash. My sewing machine had to be repaired…http://wp.me/pKaHK-Hj
    Laughing at the GLH baby talk. It’s *so* a different era…I think it’s the focus on domestic details that always brought me back to it. Some of the other stuff I could leave behind.

3. Monica says

I’m travelling this week, so no sewing, but I also just finished The Enchanted Barn. I also was driven a bit crazy by the four-year-old’s talk — my three-year-old son talks FAR better than she does, and I just don’t buy it. However, I decided not to let that get in the way of a good book, as it sounds like you did, too.
    We’ll be using the sewing projects from the past two weeks at the wedding this weekend!

4. Corrine says

I stayed up until 1 AM reading GLH’s Marcia Schuyler this week and loved it. Far-fetched, you bet, but very enjoyable. I would highly recommend it. As far as sewing goes, just scout patches.

5. Kate says

I could never get into GLH. I think you’d definitely like British author, Elizabeth Goudge, especially her Eliot family trilogy. You’ll love the matriarch. Also good are books by Bess Aldrich Streeter. You should be able to find all of them at your library. (I’m old fashioned – don’t own a Kindle).

Such a lovely blouse, Elizabeth! The color is very becoming on you. No sewing for me this week *again*. :( I’m hoping to be able to purchase some fabric soon, though. I go to bed at night with wonderful designs of matching yummy fabrics with sweet patterns swirling around in my head. It’s a heavenly way to fall asleep. :)

I know I am supposed to be looking at the new blouse (pretty) but your hair! I love it! Is it naturally curly? Mine is.. wonder if I could do layers, like yours? hmmm….
    Anayway (lol) I am doing sooo much nesting, along with working fulltime at our playschool, that this 34.5 week preggy mama is doing less and less sewing. But a babydoll dress was needed YESTERDAY (by my sister for her daughter’s gift).. and just maybe (shhhh) I will make one to match for my neice, the birthday girl!

yes:-) It’s been very humid these last few days, with a fine mist falling often. There are layers in my hair and the curl has definitely got a mind of its own this week! I have found that the trick is a good layering, enough conditioner, and curl gel/cream. Then, I just scrunch it and let it dry by itself. It looks different every day.
    If I want to pretend to myself that I have some semblance of control, I blow it straight, but it rarely obeys, unless it’s the dark of winter.

9. gwen says

Wow..you got it done! Pretty color and it looks beautiful! I’m surprised nobody has commented on how your smile is so much like Sarah Annie’s…I squint all the time, too —and I’ve always wanted straight hair. I blow mine straight all the time. When I let it go curly on occasion, people think I got a perm.UGH!

10. Sharyn says

Now that turned out real pretty Elizabeth! You’ve got me wondering what the pattern is now (I shall go back to previous posts to find out ;) and contemplating whether I could get it just right, as you have. (probably not, but it never hurts to try does it lol)
    I’m really enjoying reading needle and thRead, very inspiring. Thank you Elizabeth!

11. Rachel says

Oh, I want so badly to participate in this, but I’m just not sewing these days. We’re onto gardening at our house, as well as all the craziness of spring/May. And with a new baby on the way, I can only handle one big thing at a time – plus two small children and a house. Will you please make sure and continue into the fall? This week my project turned into researching a serger because I’ve been feeling unhappy with my unfinished edges or just zigzagging. The Janome Magnolia looks like it’s hit my wishlist. And reading – I just finished a favorite reread “The Girl of the Limberlost.” Gene Stratton-Porter was a favorite author of mine as a child and I still love to occasionally go back and enjoy her books again. I love the values that she presents and praises, among other things.