Lord, Hear Our Prayer

The internet is a formidable force for bringing the comfort and consolation and hope of the Lord to all of us. It can be an incredibily powerful medium for community. There is an unfathomable resource for prayer here. We have on the 'net the privilege of praying for people and of being witness to the miracles brought forth when fervent, faith-fulled people pray for one another.

Let's be that community of hope and faith for one another.

How about this idea? What if I pop in here every weekend, share Sunday's gospel and talk a wee bit about how we can live it and pray it in our homes? And then you tell me how we can pray for you that week? Deal?

{And please, do return and let us know how prayer is bearing fruit.}

Gospel

Mark 4:26-34

Jesus said to the crowds:
"This is how it is with the kingdom of God;
it is as if a man were to scatter seed on the land
and would sleep and rise night and day
and through it all the seed would sprout and grow,
he knows not how.
Of its own accord the land yields fruit,
first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear.
And when the grain is ripe, he wields the sickle at once,
for the harvest has come."

He said,
"To what shall we compare the kingdom of God,
or what parable can we use for it?
It is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground,
is the smallest of all the seeds on the earth.
But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants
and puts forth large branches,
so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade."
With many such parables
he spoke the word to them as they were able to understand it.
Without parables he did not speak to them,
but to his own disciples he explained everything in private.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Think
I have a mustard seed and I'm not afraid to use it. ~Pope Benedict XVI
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pray
Dear Lord,
Help me to better love my husband and the father of my children. Let me listen to him genuinely and with love, always offering to him the disposition of firm belief in his best intentions. Let me see him as You do and inspire in him all the confidence to become the man you created him to be.  Let my hands be busy making his home a place of comfort and peace. Remind me to speak often of my gratitude for him and for the hard work he does for our family. Help me to be generous and genuine with heartfelt affection. Let me sincerely offer to him the best of who I am. And, Jesus, help us both to wholeheartedly offer that best to our children.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Act
Take a few moments to put to paper a gratitude list. List all those things about your husband for which you are grateful. First, offer the list to prayer. Genuinely thank God for the gift of your good man. Then, in private, speak every one of those words aloud to him.

Comments

1. Patty says

A lovely reflection, Elizabeth, and a great picture. I will surely follow your suggestion once I get out of this natatorium. Would this community please offer prayer for our youth trip to Notre Dame for a youth conference, and for my trip, with another chaparone, with them and attendance at a separate conference. I hope to use the gift of this time for a retreat as well. Please pray I use the time in accord with the father’s will. Many blessings to you all!

2. Patricia says

Elizabeth,
    What a great photo of your dear husband…so sweet! Wishing you all a blessed celebration of Father’s Day!
    ICXC+NIKA
    Patricia in WV

3. Bridget says

I need prayers to be a holy wife and mother. I am totally overwhelmed with the sheer noise level and the constant needs. I long to speak to the children with the voice of Mary and not yelling. I pray for peace. I pray to give my husband the wife God created me to be. Thank you!

4. Mary Beth says

Such a sweet photo of Mike!
    I humbly ask for continued prayers for sweet Lydia as she continues in her coma. It has been 4 long weeks so far. There have been small but encouraging signs of her healing – responding to commands, smiling, and even laughing at jokes & stories around her. Please continue to pray for her complete healing & restoration – we believe in miracles! Pray also for peace, strength and endurance for her parents & brothers and extended family, as well as for her bus driver and for the driver of the recycling truck that hit her. Charges were laid against him yesterday, and he is to appear in court on July 31. Lydia’s family have stated publicly that they ‘bear on ill-will’ against him… may he come to accept their forgiveness and see Jesus in their Faith. Amen.
    Continuing to pray for all who post here,
    Mary Beth

That’s beautiful! I would like to request prayer for physical healing for myself from Type I diabetes and also for my husband that his business would prosper this week in a way that he has never seen! Thank you and God bless you!

In keeping with the gratitude list…thankful for this praying community. It is awesome that prayers flow through time and space (I haven’t even met any of you in person)and reveals to us how the internet can be used for God’s glory.
    Prayers this week: for one of my younger friends hoping to adopt a little girl (she struggled last time time when she and her husband were passed over for another family),for husband’s work in prison ministry, and for healing the divisions occurring within our church.

7. Karen says

Thank you, Elizabeth, for reminding me that I need to let my husband know just how wonderful he is. He is an amazing pillar of strength for me as I struggle with prepartum anxiety. I think that I have posted every week since the start of the prayer community and I have no intention of stopping anytime soon. I want to remind everyone that I am praying for them and will not forget them. I continue to ask for prayers for myself and my sweet growing baby. My anxiety has been mostly manageable for the past three weeks, but I still have flare-ups and they are very scary. I struggle to reconcile my faith with this disorder, as many well-meaning people have suggested that if I had more faith my anxiety would go away. Oh, if only that were true! Please also pray for my doctor and counselor as they guide me through this. Thank you!

8. Mary says

Thank you for all the reminders that none of us is alone. I ask for your prayers that my husband learn to accept the love that I and others want to give him. And that he can discern God’s will for our family–whether to stay here or to make a major move. Thank you all for your prayers and we will be praying for you as well.

9. Drollmom says

Holding all your prayers in my heart this week especially you, Bridget. I remember those days…and they will pass. Just keep your eyes on Him, and remember He doesn’t call us to be successful, just faithful. Jesus has such mercy and strength for us moms.
    This week I am singing and crying thanks and praise for too much joy in one week: a very successful religious freedom rally on the 8th, renewing our wedding vows on our 39th wedding anniversary at early morning Mass on the 9th, welcoming our 9th grandchild, Michael Dylan,later that afternoon; my 62nd birthday the 13th; the graduation of the youngest of our 8 on the 15th from community college (Running Start program) at age 17; and a party the 16th to celebrate him AND the completion of our family’s homeschool journey, begun at mid-life 19 years ago. God is SO good!
    My prayer for the week is for Baptism for little Michael and his big brother, Daniel, the conversion of their sweet Mom, the return to the Faith of my son, and that their marriage be blessed in the Church.

The bear in the picture makes me want to yawn. ;)
    We’re keeping all of your intentions in our prayers. This week I ask that the last of the cruddy colds clear up (Baby has it now) and for the success of my husband’s current project at work. Thanks!

Keeping all of these intentions in my prayers…
    and, and I have a praise. I asked for prayer for two of my sisters having marital problems. One of the couples has been going to counselling (he had previously refused), and seem to be making some progress. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me! I was their flower girl at age 8, and they are the only of my three sisters/brothers-in-law still in their first marriage.
    The other sister is still living apart from her husband, and having a very hard time forgiving. Please continue to pray for her.
    Heartfelt thanks to all!

12. Nicole says

I love the prayer for today. I am writing that one down in my book and I need to remember to pray it often!
    I ask for payers for the soul of my grandpa, this is our first Father’s Day without him. Especially for my grandma, they were married for over 55 years.

13. Moira says

Wanted to let you know that the “dark night of the soul” that I was experiencing some weeks ago seems to be passing and I am thinking more about God and my faith . Thank you for the prayers. Now I ask for prayers that my precious only son see his way to practice this wonderful faith of ours and to be be confirmed. And he is trying so desperately to become a firefighter, please pray that one of the applications that he making to various fire departments will bear fruit soon. Thank you so much.

14. Sarah says

Please pray that my husband is able to find full-time employment very soon and that we can resolve our current housing dilemma before our money runs out. I would also appreciate prayers for a safe and uncomplicated birth for our third child as I enter my third trimester. I’ve had to have 2 c-sections now due to breech babies, and I really, really want to avoid another surgery.