needle & thREAD

needle and thREAD

I welcome you to needle and thREAD. What have you been sewing lately? Or are you embroidering? Pulling a needle with thread through lovely fabric to make life more beautiful somehow? Would you share with us just a single photo and a brief description of what you're up to? Would you talk sewing and books with us? I'd love that so much. Tell me about it in the contents or leave a link to your blog. I'll be happy to come by and visit!

You can get your own needle & thREAD button here in your choice of several happy colors.

Not much to show this week. I got up ridiculously early (3:30) yesterday morning, so I could sew a little. I realized that I need more fabric for my intended project. So, I put that aside. I pulled out some always inspiring Anna Maria Horner voile to make a couple more of those light and airy (but pretty warm) scarves. I have acquired quite the collection and they make fabulous Christmas presents. I think that so far it's the only successful sewing I've done for myself. But, who needs anything else? These scarves take jeans and a T-shirt into the presentable, put together realm. And they make a simple black dress look all grown up and fancy.  DSC_3920

So there you go. A picture of beautiful fabric.

And another picture.

Because this is as far as I got. Some life and death things happened yesterday and the sewing machine sat silent.

I intended to read for two hours straight at soccer practice last night. Those hours in the car are usually my writing hours, but I was too tired to put three words together coherently. In the end, I read a little bit and then took a nap. There's a first for everything I suppose. I think this was my first parking lot nap! I'm reading To School Through the Fields. It's a sweet, light memoir of a childhood in rural Ireland back when life was simple. Perfect for the not-so-simple day that was yesterday.

So tell us all about your reading and stitching!

Comments

1. Amy M. says

I just finished reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. I returned it to the library and had to go out and buy my own copy because I couldn’t bear to part with it. Next up is some Brene Brown (The Gifts of Imperfection) and, when Advent starts, Ann Voskamp’s latest. Sewing wise, my new project (haha, all I’ve done is pin the pattern!) is a Christmas tree skirt for my new home with my future husband. He’s getting another gift this Christmas but my goal is to give that to him as well, as a promise for future holidays together :-) Happy Thursday Elizabeth!

Thanks for the prodding that I have a stack of pretty, airy, silky scarf fabric left over from making last year’s Christmas gifts (it folds up in such a tiny little space in my sewing tub). I will get to that this week! But I did start something new. I have this awesome little shirt-dress laid out on my husbands old, but still-in-great-shape, but outdated, light blue and white pinstripe Ralph Lauren oxford, including a mini-pocket using the little embroidered horse. I’m hesitant to finish it until I get the ultrasound in two weeks that hopefully will tell us we are actually adding a girl to this family after 15 years. http://growing-in-truth.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-classy-little-shirtdress.html I am SOOOO ready for some girl-flavored sewing and crocheting (at least I’ve gotten to do some for gifts!) But in my post, I also included a link to a tutorial that has lots of amazing other ideas for converting a man’s shirt (including the cutest flannel dress!). These things work for my budget!

3. Michelle says

I have to comment today!!!! To School Through The Fields was written by a good friend of ours- Alice Taylor. My father was a laborer for her farm when she was a child. We have spent many a night with her, when we’re back in Ireland, listening to herself and my father reminisce together!! There are even (name changed) mentions of my grandfather in the book! My father is from the same “Old Road”, and took us back to Ireland often. Though he was only a groundskeeper for a high school, he and my mother saved every penny and took a year off to move us back to Ireland when I was in the sixth grade so we could really experience an Irish childhood. It was a magical year, and, I have often thought, the savior of my faith. Just so excited to see you mention this book!!!

4. Amy M. says

Also, Elizabeth, have you seen this lovely Advent calendar? It’s currently only available as a kit, but I am hoping they’ll sell the instruction book only for next year, since I don’t need some of the items in the kit. I’d also like to make it with hook-and-eye attachments instead of straight pins. Just thought I’d share since I’m planning to make it (or something like it) for next Christmas!

Thank you Elizabeth! I have some silk voile that my father brought back for my mother many years ago from Singapore. I discovered it in a box when we were going through things. The colors are beautiful, but I was unsure what to do with it.
    I think now I will make a scarf for each of my 4 daughters. They never knew my father as he died when I was 9, but they loved my mother. I hope this will help them hold on to some memories!

Reading “Theresa of Avila An Extraordinary Life” by Shirley du Boulay and “One Good Deed” by Erin McHugh. I’ve always been too intimidated to read Theresa of Avila’s own work. I’ve read devotionals based on “The Interior Castle” or “Foundations” but have never been ready to wade into the depths of her spirituality. Late September and early October had her popping up over and over and I was wondering why this saint was trying to get my attention. This biography made its way to me (literally) and finally I understand. I’m embarrassed to say that we share the same faults (of the non-saintly kind, at least as recorded by this biographer). I’m enjoying this biography and it gives me hope that I can understand her writings better.
    “One Good Deed” was gifted to me by a friend who must know how much I enjoy these lighter, try-things-for-a-period-of-time memoirs. I just started it but always find these type of books inspiring.
    As for sewing. I’m still working on the slipcovers from the last “Needle and thREAD”. The first one is finished. Now I’m working on the 2nd half of the couch. It’s taking a little longer because my youngest, Mark, is helping me video a tutorial. I want to encourage anyone that if I can do it, they can! Elizabeth, this means YOU! Sewing clothes takes much more patience and skill than what I’m doing.

I’m a little slow… just now occurred to me that “READ” is part of this link-up (I have been here three times now? I’m old and pregnant–my brain might return in a year or two). I just read Cari Donaldson’s “Pope Awesome and Other Stories,” the story of her conversion to the Catholic faith. It was a.mazing. And so heartwarming! And hilarious. With the best ending I’ve ever read in any book. I’m also reading, for history’s sake, the Epistle of Barnabas, the Epistles of Ignatius and several other of the “gospel” accounts not included in the canon, as well as many other epistles– all of these used for teaching in the first century church. The Gospel of the Birth of Mary was fascinating (her biography, supposedly written in the first century) After a long wait, I was finally able to order a list of goodies from http://www.Abebooks.com (my fave site for cheap, used books).

8. Lavaida Vandelia says

Hope all of you and yours are well, Elizabeth. I caught your “life and death” line in the post.
    Prayers for all of you, especially Kristin and the baby and Shawn.
    LavaidaVandelia

Thanks for asking! Kristin and the baby are well. Shawn is fighting a very tough fight and this was not a good week for him. And my dearest friend Megan’s mother died. Hard week.

Elizabeth,
    If you have time to answer a quick question….what’s voille? Can you find it at a store like JoAnn Fabric. I was poking around there today to see what they had and I only saw poly blends. Is that the same thing? Would it be in the apparel fabric section?