St. Andrew Christmas Devotion Begins Today

Hail-and-blessed

St. andrew

Printable image here.

More notes here, here, and here.

You can also find the prayer right up there in the top righthand corner of this blog. It will be there throughout the season, so feel free to come back fifteen times during the day to pray;-).

Do you pray this prayer? I know of some amazing St. Andrew stories. If you have one and post it to your blog, please leave a link below. If you don't blog, please share your story in the comments.

One of my favorite stories ever. And it just gets better and better. Three babies! Crazy:-)

Comments

1. Susan says

Got us a house last year when we had an emergency need to buy and very picky requirements with a handicapped child. Our offer was accepted Christmas Day.

2. Stacy says

Last year, after 4 miscarriages, we found out we were pregnant again on Nov 30. My dear friend prayed this novena for us, and then gifted me the St Andrew chaplet. Today I am holding a 4 month old! :) I am praying the novena this year.

3. Corrine says

I can tell so many St. Andrew Novena stories but he most amazing one happened 3 years ago. After 10 years of no interest at all in church my husband joined the Church. It was an amazing change of heart!

4. Analisa says

I am doing it for the first time this year. I’m praying for a miracle for my brother, named Andrew. He is in his mid-twenties, a high school dropout with no job, living with my parents. He is cripped by bipolar and substance abuse. He needs a miracle and I believe he can receive one.

As you know, I am a pretty new Catholic, so this year is my first time to pray this devotion. I started last night with the kids, and was wondering how you decide on an intention. My son wanted to pray for a certain intention of a family member that we have been praying for… forever, it seems. I had something else in mind – well several, actually.
    Do you have each person choose their own intention, or do you try to choose one to focus on as a family? Can I have two, or three (it seems like there are so many needs right now, so is it still OK to, in the midst of that, pray for just one more baby, for example) :o)?
    I’m sure I’m making this much harder than it should be! Any words of wisdom?

Sue,
    We all pick our own. My family has been known to be annoyed while they wait (we pause after “desires”) for me to silently offer my petitions.
    Last year I had at least four:
    something good for Christian: http://ebeth.typepad.com/reallearning/2011/02/so-much-more-than-just-a-basketball-game.html
    a baby for Sarah: http://www.amongstlovelythings.com/2011/11/why-i-love-st-andrew-christmas-novena.html#
    Two more have been answered but remain to be made public.

Whew! What a relief. Now I can petition with abandon. :o)
    Seriously, thanks so much for giving a bit of guidance to a novice. I truly appreciate it! XO
    Sarah’s story made me all teary. I’m excited to see what God will do regarding our various petitions as well.

I would like to publicly thank St. Andrew for prayers answered! I would like to share my big, crazy story, with all it’s twists and turns, but I cannot yet. Suffice it to say, St. Andrew gave me a lot more than I bargained for; in a way, he brought me back to the faith, though I never really realized I had left.

Elizabeth–I am just now getting to read this post, as I wasn’t able to get behind the computer for more than a moment yesterday. Do you think it would be okay to start this novena today as long as I did it an extra day so that it equals the 9 days? I certainly have a petition that I would like to offer. While I have been sharing this desire with the Lord, I figure it certainly wouldn’t hurt for St. Andrew to put in a good word as well. ;-)

Yes, yes, yes, yes…after 2 miscarriages and 2 1/2 years of infertility we conceived our daughter Elizabeth after praying the St. Andrew Novena during the Advent of 2010. Elizabeth was born on 12/26/11 – our CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!!! I love, love, love, love this Novena. (Incidentally, I found out later that 2 other friends unbeknowst to us were praying this novena for that exact same intention for us as well and neither of them had ever prayed the novena before and didn’t know we were praying the novena either).
    Here is our story of our precious Christmas / Christmas Novena miracle:

11. Danielle says

I first heard about the St. Andrew Novena from your blog a few years back and I so badly wanted the gift of another child as it had been a few years with only a miscarriage to show. So i got a bracelet, I got down on my knees, and I prayed like I have never prayed before. The novena ended and three weeks later, I found out I was pregnant with my son Cristian. But as I write this, I am weeping. I haven’t seen this prayer since that final day in December 2010 and I can’t stop the tears. My son Cristian was born too early and he died on Holy Saturday, one hour after Good Friday ended. He is buried here in Falls Church and even though I felt God had misunderstood my desire, I was still grateful to St. Andrew for his intercession and we named our son Cristian Andrew. I thought I might try this particular prayer again this year but I find it’s still too raw. After Cristian died, we miraculously conceived again that summer but we lost that baby, and then two weeks after that baby, we conceived again and then that baby died in November last year at the end of the first trimester. I’m sorry my story isn’t happy but I guess St. Andrew wanted his namesake up there to prayer with him for all of us. And I do believe he interceded on my behalf. It was a real Christmas miracle. Now I just prayer to St. Andrew for peace in my heart instead of a child in my womb. I hope many others find this prayer to St. Andrew to be fruitful and meaningful and I am so grateful to you, Elizabeth, for leading me to it two years ago. I miss my little Cristian Andrew but I’m so glad I have him watching over me now.

12. Marianne says

My healthy 10 month old named Andrew is crawling around at my feet. I spent a very burdened pregnancy last year praying for him and this novena was a lifeline for me and gave me some peace as I approached my due date in agony, almost – sorry to be dramatic. For various reasons, his health was in question the whole pregnancy, but he was born healthy, thanks be to God.

13. Lenetta says

I may have shared my story here before, but I love it so much that I will again. :) four years ago, I prayed three “rounds” of the St. Andrew novena for myself and two online friends, as we all were longing for another baby. I didn’t tell them until the novena was over, and I had Barbara at Prayerful Beads make chaplets for all of us and had theirs sent directly to them. They were both pregnant by the end of the novena! I was sad that I hadn’t had my prayer answered, but oh so thrilled to see God’s specific response. My Eli Andrew was conceived six weeks after my father in law passed away, the very night I inadvertently burned down the barn on my husband’s family farm. I include this prayer in my daily prayers because I love it so much!

14. Faith says

Danielle, I am praying for you and I will pray my St. Andrew novena for your intention. We lost our first daughter unexpectedly when she was an infant and I understand your grief. Your grief is a prayer; our Lord hears you. Lots of love to you, Danielle.