Needle & thREAD

needle and thREAD

I welcome you to needle and thREAD. What have you been sewing lately? Or are you embroidering? Pulling a needle with thread through lovely fabric to make life more beautiful somehow? Would you share with us just a single photo and a brief description of what you're up to? Would you talk sewing and books with us? I'd love that so much. Tell me about it in the contents or leave a link to your blog. I'll be happy to come by and visit!

You can get your own needle & thREAD button here in your choice of several happy colors.

It's been more of the same here this week. I did take on the Snow Queen challenge and spent some very happy time stitching up some magical snow on a tutu. We're all pretty happy with the result.

IMG_4608

Beyond that, it's been gift sewing. Can't show too much of that. Here's just a bit:

Cover photo

I read and re-read Lidia Bastianich's Nonna, Tell Me a Story: Lidia's Christmas Kitchen. I have to admit, she had me at the title. This is a darling story of an Italian grandmother who shares her Christmas traditions with her grandchildren and then spruces those traditions up a bit to make them work in modern America. Just darling!

(I've created a new category here, Nonna's House. New season in the heart of our home.)

Family christmas

So tell us all about your reading and stitching! Do you have Christmas secrets you can share in the combox?

Comments

1. Renee says

I will have to check that book out (as I sit here and dunk an Italian doughnut in my coffee…my grandma’s recipe and they look just like the ones in Merry Christmas, Strega Nona!). Thanks for the tip! :) I have a pile of books on my nightstand. One in particular is Under the Mercy. (I just finished A Severe Mercy, so I started the sequel.) I found a lovely Tasha Tudor Christmas collection, titled I Take Joy, at a book sale recently, so my daughter and I have been enjoying a poem, story, or song every day, along with some Tomie dePaola books and other favorites. I have a last minute plan to sew a ballet bag for my daughter’s ballet shoes. I need to look in the fabric stash and make a plan!

2. Margaret says

My mom, who is Nonna to my kids, gave us this book a few years ago! Absolutely loooove it!! My 4 oldest are girls, and they took that book to heart and decorated our Christmas trees just like the book said….with homemade cookies and oranges. Best Christmas tree we ever had!!!!

3. Christine Scarlett says

Thanks for telling us about Lidia’s book, Elizabeth. I will forward your post to my daughter, Celeste. She works for Lidia and her son (and Mario Batali) at Del Posto in Manhattan.

4. Lesli Richards says

I’m sewing on the Villager costumes for our studios version of The Snow Queen this week – one down and nine more to go! I dream of going to tutu sewing school someday! Then it will be the Jammie’s for nieces and nephews Christmas!
    Reading Jayber Crow by Wendall Berry and savoring it.
    Blessings,
    Lesli

5. Emily says

I’m working on finishing up quilt tops for my girls for Christmas. I thought I had enough for two twins because I’d originally planned on a king sized quilt, but alas, I need to sew 16 more blocks!
    In reading, I’m on a PG Wodehouse kick, having just finished “Psmith in the City” and going on to short stories. Not too heavy, pretty funny, and interesting.
    Emily

Knitting four projects, one of which is actually a REPAIR of my grandson’s baby blanket, the other three are gifts. Baby’s new sharp teeth bit through several loops of the blanket six inches from the top. Luckily, I still had a good supply of the yarn used for the original blanket. His “Grammy Blanket” is nearly ready to return to his sleep routine!

7. Dineen says

I LOVE “Nonna, Tell Me a Story”! My children, husband and I met Lidia at Tarry Market in Port Chester, NY (our town), which is owned by Lidia’s son Joe Bastianich, and Mario Batali. Lidia and all of her grandchildren were there for a book signing when the Nonna book first came out. We were the first ones on line and Lidia had all five of her grandchildren sign our book in addition to her signing it. Her grandchildren and my children were talking and we even met Lidia’s mother, Nonna Ermenia. When we take the book out at Christmas we all remember that lovely memory of meeting Lidia and her family.