Not Knitting Now

Here is the yellow sweater. I started it way back in July, I think. I've made slow progress ,which got slower daily. My left hand kept cramping. I'd shake it out. Then, my whole forearm started hurting. Finally, I had excruciating pain in my elbow. When I knit. When I keyboarded. When I lifted a glass of water. When I lifted a child. When I pushed a stroller or a grocery cart. When I swept the floor. When I folded laundry.

Finally, I pretty much couldn't even get my arm to do those things.

And now, I can't knit. or any of those other things. I can type with one hand. It's not very efficient.

The yellow sweater will wait, probably until the spring. And I will feel so badly, because Katie loves this sweater. It barely fits her now. It's not going to fit in the spring. Karoline has to feel pretty lucky to be the kid who gets the too-big sweaters and the too-small sweaters.

Ever since I learned to knit, my morning routine has been much the same. I knit and listen to the Bible on audio. It is a beautiful way to start the day

In all honesty, I hate the fact that this injury has rocked my morning rhythm. I'm a better mom with my Bible and my knitting. Starts my day in a very good way. We're getting after some pretty aggressive therapy, so hopefully, I'll be able to knit when we drive to Florida in January. In the meantime, handmade Christmas gifts will be of the sewn or baked variety.

And my morning routine will embrace Lisa Hendey's new book, a candle, a notebook and the commitment to do some journaling in my own handwriting, with my right hand and a pretty pen. I do love this book. I've reviewed it in depth in my latest column. And  I recently talked with Lisa about the book on a Faith and Family podcast.

Thus ends my last Yarn Along for awhile. I'll miss you all! Go visit Ginny for more knitting and reading.

Comments

1. Marla says

I am glad you are getting physical therapy. I have experienced the same problem. I basically had to stop doing anything that hurt. Then I used one dose of ibuprofen a day for a week and soaked my elbow and forearm in a bucket of ice water once or twice a day for about six weeks. Things were then much better. I still have to be careful, and symptoms tend to flare up around “that time of the month.” But, I no longer suffer excruciating and debilitating pain. Even though I treated this myself, it probably would have been better if I actually went through physical therapy, and I think you are wise for doing so. God bless you and yours!

I do pray the physical therapy helps and knitting is in your near future once again. I too listen to the bible in the mornings while knitting and waiting for the sun to rise. I guard this time very selfishly and wonder how I managed my days before I could knit:)
    I read your post about Lisa’s book and look forward to reading my own copy. It sounds like a very special book.
    xx

Sorry to read this E. That is one yummy looking sweater! 10 years ago I stopped knitting when I started experiencing hand and arm pains as well. Sadly, I meant to get back to it and never did. Maybe one of these days. Praying for you.

Praying that therapy will get you back to knitting.
    Looking forward to Lisa’s book. Thinking of giving a copy to each of the children’s godmothers.
    Can you recommend a book for Catholic dads? I don’t want to leave them out.
    God Bless you and your family.

Ouch – you say this all with grace, but I know what a painful deprivation this will be for you, and tied to so much of your routine. Amazing, how one change causes ripples in our lives. I’m so very sorry and pray for your quick healing, Elizabeth!

I am so sorry you are in so much pain and are therefore unable to knit. I’ve been having a lot of issues with my right hand (maybe tendinitis), but so far I can still knit as long as I don’t overdo it. Good luck with your therapy, I hope it brings relief soon!

7. Elizabeth says

“Grace” is exactly the word I was looking for to describe this post. I agree completely, Lynn. Elizabeth, my prayers are with you. I hope you heal up and are back to knitting soon. I don’t even knit and I love your knitting posts!

Hope the hand/arm situation gets sorted soon and you can get back to knitting. It truly is a pretty sweater in a gorgeous colour.
    Enjoy your new routine.