Lord, Hear Our Prayer

Saints table

The internet is a formidable force for bringing the comfort and consolation and hope of the Lord to all of us. It can be an incredibily powerful medium for community. There is an unfathomable resource for prayer here. We have on the 'net the privilege of praying for people and of being witness to the miracles brought forth when fervent, faith-fulled people pray for one another.

Let's be that community of hope and faith for one another.

How about this idea? What if I pop in here every weekend, share Sunday's gospel and talk a wee bit about how we can live it and pray it in our homes? And then you tell me how we can pray for you that week? Deal?

{And please, do return and let us know how prayer is bearing fruit.}

My heart is with the family of Don Perry, spokesman for Chick-Fil-A, who died unexpectedly this week. Please pray for the repose of his soul and for the comfort and consolation of his family.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gospel

John 6:1-15

Jesus went across the Sea of Galilee.
A large crowd followed him,
because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick.
Jesus went up on the mountain,
and there he sat down with his disciples.
The Jewish feast of Passover was near.
When Jesus raised his eyes
and saw that a large crowd was coming to him,
he said to Philip,
"Where can we buy enough food for them to eat?"
He said this to test him,
because he himself knew what he was going to do.
Philip answered him,
"Two hundred days' wages worth of food would not be enough
for each of them to have a little.'"
One of his disciples,
Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, said to him,
"There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish;
but what good are these for so many?"
Jesus said, "Have the people recline."
Now there was a great deal of grass in that place.
So the men reclined, about five thousand in number.
Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks,
and distributed them to those who were reclining,
and also as much of the fish as they wanted.
When they had had their fill, he said to his disciples,
"Gather the fragments left over,
so that nothing will be wasted."
So they collected them,
and filled twelve wicker baskets with fragments
from the five barley loaves
that had been more than they could eat.
When the people saw the sign he had done, they said,
"This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world."
Since Jesus knew that they were going to come and carry him off
to make him king,
he withdrew again to the mountain alone.

Think

"The sense of futility is one of the greatest evils of the day…People say, "What can one person do? What is the sense of our small effort?" They cannot see that we can only lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time; we can be responsible only for the one action of the present moment. But we can beg for an increase of love in our hearts that will vitalize and transform all our individual actions, and know that God will take them and multiply them, as Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes."

~Servant of God Dorothy Day

Act

What is it in you life about which you feel that sense of futility? Is it serving your family by conquering that mound of laundry? Is it opening your home more often in the spirit of hospitality? Is it stretching yourself to go into the corners of despair that aren't really very far from your home? Ask God to give you the strength and grace to begin with the first brick.

Pray

Lord, you give us all five barley loaves and two fish. Please help me to recognize them in my life, to prayerfully offer them back to you, and to be the instrument of your miracles.

Comments

1. Angie W says

Prayers for my husband. He has a 3 hour skills test on Tues for what could be a very good job. He really needs this job. Please pray for clarity for him and most of all…peace!

2. Karen says

Prayers for my husband as well. He is out of state dealing this weekend with the sudden loss of his biological father and a whole host of legal headaches. He also tells me that the spiritual oppression around him is palpable. My prayer is that the Lord will bless him richly in this situation for doing his duty as a son, despite his personal feelings, and that peace will be granted to all the involved parties. Also, I pray for the repose of the soul of my husband’s father. Have a blessed week!

3. Jen says

Please pray for rain to fall on the desperately drought stricken areas in the midwest. That’s all I pray for lately. Just rain.

Please pray for the repose of the souls of Ben Horne and Gil Weiss, two American mountain climbers whose bodies were just found in Peru. Also pray for the consolation of their families. I know Ben’s family well through parish activities and Boy Scouts. We are all grieving for their loss.

5. betsy m says

I feel selfish asking for my small needs when I have heard so many tragedies lately. But I was always told never to limit God or to feel like a waste of time. :-)
    Please pray for me as I face the next few days, hoping to deliver this little baby naturally and avoid a csection unless it is the safest option. I don’t like that I’m on a clock and may just have one because everyone likes the sound of Thursday. Everyone around me is antsy and has no problem with me going in earlier than i truly need to, because the timing works so well with their schedules. I’m only 40w1d, and I would like to deliver soon, but i’m more interested in safe and healthy for both of us. The csection i had with my last baby almost killed me, and though my concerns are partially irrational (this is a very different pregnancy), they are also greatly rational (crappy post-surgery staff yelled and me and sedated me against my will so I’d shut up while i almost bled to death). I’m feeling a smidge scared and alone. My loved ones want to understand, but they sort of don’t.
    Pray for my and this baby’s health and safety, and my ability to accept whatever i may have to face, with grace and calm.

I really need some serious prayers. I will be doulaing for a woman who is due any day now. Her OB is our local abortionist. I know I’m supposed to be the one helping this mother but I need to be surrounded in prayer as I work with this doctor. Not only that I can help this mom have a beautiful healthy birth, but for my protection and that I will be an open vehicle in whatever way the Lord wants to use me for the conversion of this doctor. I am so little and this is so big. I’ve been praying for this doctor specifically by name every day for a few months now…and then I was hired by this mother. Prayers are greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you, Elizabeth.

Me again…still begging God for a MIRACLE for my baby Steven Thomas who is 18weeks 4days in my womb! My water broke about 16 weeks and the Dr isn’t hopeful. This week I am asking for the MIRACLE of a sealed sac and lots of fluid!
    THY WILL BE DONE!!! THANKS

8. Angie W says

I will be praying for all of your intentions, but especially you mamas with babies. May the Lord strengthen you and keep your babies safe. May you be blessed with safe (and natural!) deliveries. St Gerard, pray for them. Also, prayers to St Michael the Archangel to fight any evil any of you may be coming up against. Bless you all this week.

9. Jen says

Please pray for my 18 year old son as he is sentenced and enters prison Monday morning. Pray for our family and the 4 siblings he leaves behind at home- and for me in my grief as well. His judge is going to sentence him to a court ordered bootcamp. If he passes through the program he will be home in 8 months. If not, he will be sentenced to his full 4 year sentence.

10. Mary Beth says

I will keep each of you in my prayers this week, my praying friends. I ask that you would continue to pray for a miraculous, complete restoration of Lydia in the months and years ahead, (she is now out of her coma & in a rehab hospital, making taking small, baby steps forward), and for the recycling truck driver who hit her back on May 18. He will be in court this week, and has also suffered greatly in this tragedy. I feel like I’m being greedy, here, but could I also beg prayers for my mother, Isabelle, who is 75 and has a massive growth (lymphoma) in her stomach and possibly leukemia as well. We won’t know her ‘official’ diagnosis for another 2 weeks. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Many thanks.

11. Rachael says

Praying for you, your son and your family, Jen. Remember, He CAN work all things for good. God bless you.

12. Rachael says

Dear Sam, you will most assuredly be in my prayers. Here’s to Hope, and most especially to peace in His will… God bless.

13. Rachael says

Not selfish at all. You have my deep sympathy as well as my prayers as you enter this stressful time. Praying for wisdom and compassion on the part of your care givers, and for deep peace for you, dear one.

Please pray for us as we begin another school year soon. I especially ask for smooth integration for my special needs son, who will be in a lot more social situations than we’ve been called to of late. I will be with him, and it is good for him, but it will stretch us more and more. I admit I am nervous, just hoping all goes well (and over worrying just a touch).

15. Karen says

I am keeping everyone here in my prayers. Please continue to pray for me as I battle anxiety and for the total health of my growing baby.

16. Mary Lou Shookhoff says

God bless all listed hear and all of your needs. I am praying for all of you and for Elizabeth, of course. May you all have a blessed week with good things to tell us next week of how God has been good to you & yours. Mary Lou

17. Amanda says

Please pray for my husband who has been ill for two weeks. We mostly know the reason now but it could be more complex and his full recovery may take several months. I am praying for his complete recovery and that I can be strong enough to handle the bulk of our duties on my own for the time being. I don’t feel like I’ve done very well coping.

18. Kristin says

Keeping all of you in my prayers and at Eucharistic Adoration this week. Please pray for me and our baby….38 weeks along. Praying for a safe labor and delivery for us and a healthy baby!