Lord, Hear Our Prayer

Gospel

Luke 16:1-13

Jesus said to his disciples,
“A rich man had a steward
who was reported to him for squandering his property.
He summoned him and said,
‘What is this I hear about you?
Prepare a full account of your stewardship,
because you can no longer be my steward.’
The steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do,
now that my master is taking the position of steward away from me?
I am not strong enough to dig and I am ashamed to beg.
I know what I shall do so that,
when I am removed from the stewardship,
they may welcome me into their homes.’
He called in his master’s debtors one by one.
To the first he said,
‘How much do you owe my master?’
He replied, ‘One hundred measures of olive oil.’
He said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note.
Sit down and quickly write one for fifty.’
Then to another the steward said, ‘And you, how much do you owe?’
He replied, ‘One hundred kors of wheat.’
The steward said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note;
write one for eighty.’
And the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently.
“For the children of this world
are more prudent in dealing with their own generation
than are the children of light.
I tell you, make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth,
so that when it fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.
The person who is trustworthy in very small matters
is also trustworthy in great ones;
and the person who is dishonest in very small matters
is also dishonest in great ones.
If, therefore, you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth,
who will trust you with true wealth?
If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another,
who will give you what is yours?
No servant can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve both God and mammon.”

Think
"Why did the Lord Jesus Christ present this parable to us? He surely did not approve of that cheat of a servant who cheated his master, stole from him and did not make it up from his own pocket. On top of that, he also did some extra pilfering. He caused his master further loss, in order to prepare a little nest of quiet and security for himself after he lost his job. Why did the Lord set this before us? It is not because that servant cheated but because he exercised foresight for the future. When even a cheat is praised for his ingenuity, Christians who make no such provision blush. I mean, this is what he added, “Behold, the children of this age are more prudent than the children of light.” They perpetrate frauds in order to secure their future. In what life, after all, did that steward insure himself like that? What one was he going to quit when he bowed to his master’s decision? He was insuring himself for a life that was going to end. Would you not insure yourself for eternal life?" ~ Saint Augustine (Tip of the bonnet to Fr. Steve Schultz)
Pray
Sweet Jesus, Please open my heart and my mind to the urgent call on the Church in my time. Help me to clearly see and hear and know and understand what you have me do.
Act
Read the Pope's interview. Read the whole thing. It's 12,000 words, so don't try to read it on your phone. Maybe plan to read it over several days. Print it off for your spouse. Require your big kids to read it. Carry it around and read it while standing inline and waiting for carpool. But read it. And here's the hard part: don't make judgements, don't listen to commentary, don't engage in conversation about it until you've prayerfully read it for yourself.
How can we pray for you this week?

Comments

1. maddalena70 says

Please pray for me in order to help me to put asidd my stress and my anger so to be a better mother and wife… with mlre patience and devotion.
    My two girls deserve it and need me at my best… and I’d like to be my best as God’s daughter!
    Thank you.
    Maddalena

2. Katie says

If you could pray for our parish youth group. It’s only been “around” a few years, and most of the members graduated hs and moved away to college, so we’re almost starting from scratch. Our first meeting for the kids was last night and attendance was 8! If you could pray that the hearts of parents who don’t want to get their children up and out the door would change? Thank you!

Please pray for me as well. The past two months have been a perimenopausal nightmare! I am having a procedure done on 10/14 to take care of what is going on in my body and hopefully things will be back to normal after that. It has been a challenging time to say the least. Thank you for the prayers! I will keep you all in prayer.

4. Shawna Aubin says

Our first homeschooling year begins tomorrow with my husband and I sharing the teaching load. Please pray for success, meaning, strengthening our relationships with our children and their relationships with each other, a true joy for learning for our children and the untold oceans of patience my husband and I will need for this blessed journey God has called us to.

5. Siobhan says

Continued prayers for Rozanna, chemo continues and she’s still pushing on despite being told about 6 months ago that she has 2 years. Also please pray for Cindy who is fighting recurrent breast cancer.

6. Kara says

Please pray for a seven year-old boy close to our hearts who is dying from cancer. May he finally find peace, and may his family be enveloped in God’s love.

7. anniekitching says

Meredith – my daughter got pregnant at 14! She is adopted and had just remembered a lot of sexual abuse in her early past….there’s all kinds of “excuses” – but oh, the main thought I had was of the shame, and then, the burden.
    All I can say is that God has a way of transforming things. Monica has turned out to have been the brightest light for our whole family. I believe that these children are signs of goodness and hope and beauty and they will bring joy! Accept it all with joy.

8. S says

Please pray for my 2 year old son. He has had many issues with hives and I find myself constantly terrified of anaphylaxis. Please pray for his health!

9. Sonja LoVecchio says

Rescue Remedy and homeopathic camilla under the tongue worked wonders for me with hives. I wonder if it would help your son?

10. MC says

Asking continued prayers for my husband (clergy) who is beginning to question his calling after being ordained nearly 7 years and still has no parish of his own. He feels without purpose and abandoned. The two opportunities he thought might be possible are mostly faded away and after having had this happen more than once in the past few years, he is having a hard time keeping his hopes up.